The goal of Urban Indian CARES (Colon and Rectal Education and Screening) is to promote education, testing, and treatment of colorectal cancer for urban American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN) through the Urban Indian Health Programs (UIHP) nationwide.
Why urban American Indians and Alaska Natives?
- 71% of American Indians/Alaska Natives (AI/AN) live in urban areas.*
- Many urban AI/AN depend on Urban Indian Health Programs (UIHP) for their health care.
- Colon cancer is the second most common cancer for AI/AN women and the third for AI/AN men.
- AI/AN are more likely to be diagnosed at later stages, when cancer is most difficult to cure.
- Only 46% of AI/AN in UIHP service areas have been screened for colon cancer, compared with 60% of Caucasians.^
*2010 US Census
^ Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System 2003-2007
Click here to learn more about the logo.